Wednesday, August 25, 2010
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm ET
With the passage of health care reform earlier this year, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act has introduced a new employer requirement to provide space and time for nursing mothers to pump milk at work. What is this new law, and what does it mean for businesses and employees? How can employers implement successful workplace lactation programs and practices that enhance business performance and help working families?
Corporate Voices for Working Families and the Retail Industry Leaders Association were pleased to host a webinar on this topic for retail businesses on Wednesday, August 25, 2010. Executives from over 55 top U.S. retail companies across several industries, including apparel, consumer electronics, department stores, and home improvement joined the webinar.
Featured speakers were: Tiffany Westover-Kernan, Vice President for Business Development and Government Relations at Corporate Voices, Yvonne Siu, Manager, Communications and Government Relations at Corporate Voices, and Portia Wu, Vice President of the National Partnership for Women and Families. They presented on:
- The new requirements of the amendment to the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- What kind of businesses and employees it applies to;
- Next steps on implementation by the Wage & Hour Division at the Department of Labor;
- How businesses can comply with the federal law in a way that increases employee recruitment, retention, and integrates workplace lactation programs into a productivity-enhancing management strategy; and
- Existing practical toolkits and resources employers can use to implement and maintain workplace lactation programs.
Please refer to the links below for a recording of the webainr and forthe PowerPoint presentation used.
For questions about the new federal requirement and workplace lactation programs, contact Tiffany Westover-Kernan. For questions about the toolkits and resources discussed in this webinar, and if you are interested in sharing your best practices, please contact Yvonne Siu.
- Recording of the webinar
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Workplace Lactation Programs: Good for Working Families, Good for Business (Toolkit for Employers)
- "Business Impacts of Flexibility: An Imperative for Expansion",Corporate Voices, 2005.
- Workplace Flexibility Toolkits for Houly Workers and Managers," Corporate Voices, 2010.